Sunday, February 15, 2009

Last semester's blogs...

The first blog that I listened to was "Watchers and Listeners - How Do We Respond?" by John Hardman, Keri Ashworth, and Autumn Jordan, with a special guest appearance from Dr. Strange. The first podcast on the page... While everyone seemed a bit nervous at first, I found this podcast very well done. The Strange participation helped quite a bit to calm everyone down and keep them on topic. There were many aspects of this podcast that I really enjoyed. I liked the extensive introductions because they really give the listener a feel for the speakers. I also enjoyed the anecdotes and the humor employed. While the blog sounded a bit unprepared at first, it became evident that the speakers were using extensive notes and outlines to keep themselves on topic. I believe, for my podcast to sound professional, it must utilize the same concepts of preparation.

The next blog I listened to was Mrs. Averitt's "My classes at South: How is technology used in them?" by Matthew Cline and Jill Ravette. This podcast was much shorter, actually less than half as long as the previous. I felt very sympathetic towards the speakers because they sounded exceptionally nervous. Ms. Ravette's voice was shaking nearly the entire podcast. One of the things that they incorporated that I really enjoyed was an in-depth explanation of the technology used. Somebody who isn't a student of South could better understand from a layman's viewpoint. But unfortunately I found more negative than positive in this podcast. From the intro to the ending, the speakers sounded unprepared. In a podcast about utilization of technology at South, I expected Powerpoint slides to be addressed extensively, but they were talked about for merely less than a minute at the very end. This presentation confirmed my belief that an extensive outline and notes are not only beneficial but absolutely necessary. A podcast also sounds much better with a charismatic emcee keeping the conversation in line.

No comments:

Post a Comment