Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Best of Fischbowl Continued - Customer Service

Upon browsing the best of Fischbowl for 2007, the blog post for May, entitled "Customer Service" jumped out at me. I have been working in a customer service capacity in one way or another for the past 8 years and currently pay for my education by waiting tables. Though I am not crazy about my job, I do work very hard and put a lot of effort into the way I treat my customers. The Youtube video of the HP Technical Support call was actually far too familiar. Many people in this and similar industries are too apathetic to really care about the needs of their patrons. I actually used to work in a call center, and I know from firsthand experience that they are not concerned with call quality, but rather call quantity.

So how can this lesson be focused on my future profession as a teacher? Fisch believes that a teacher should see his students as "customers" and be focused on giving them superior service. I believe the most important thing that this entails is having a remarkable amount of patience and understanding towards your students. Just as a waiter may patiently explain the notion of side items to someone who obviously doesn't eat out much, a teacher should make total sure that their students fully understand the concept instead of merely memorizing answers. Hopefully, when I am a teacher, the reward for my patience and caring will be far more than in a totally under-appreciated customer service role.

No comments:

Post a Comment